Information about a Minor’s Study Permit - Immigration Law Firm

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
5 minutes reading time (954 words)

Information about a Minor’s Study Permit


Studying in Canada

Canada is well-known for its educational system and opportunities. That being said, many parents have chosen to let their children to study in Canada, in order to give them a head start for their future. Do you want to send your children to Canada, and let them receive education that is highly respected worldwide? If so, it is important for you to understand the requirements for obtaining a minor’s study permit. If you are unfamiliar with the process of applying for a study permit, continue to read this blog to learn relevant information regarding a minor’s study permit application.

Understand the Term “Minor”

According to Canadian Law, each province has its own age of majority, which is the age that determines when a person becomes an adult. That being said, anyone who is under the age of majority is considered as a “minor child”.

The age of majority for Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan is 18. The age of majority for British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, and Yukon is 19.

What is a Minor’s Study Permit

A minor’s study permit is a document which is issued to any children who are under the age of majority and wish to study in Canada. Most minor children who wish to study in Canada require a permit in order to do so. Just like any study permit, a minor study permit allows a child to study in Canada at a designated institute in a designated program for a specific period of time.

Who Does Not Need a Minor’s Study Permit to Study in Canada

Not all children need to apply for a minor’s study permit to study in Canada. The following are the exceptions. If one of these conditions applies, then you do not need a minor’s study permit to allow your child to study in Canada.

  • The minor children are in kindergarten
  • The minor children are attending pre-school, primary or secondary school, and have a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada
  • The minor children are accompanied by parents that are refugees or refugee claimants, or, the children are refugee claimants themselves.
  • The minor children came to Canada as a visitor for a course or program of studies of six months or less
  • The minor children will study in a course or program of six months or less
  • The minor children are in Canada by themselves

Please note, any children who are studying in Canada without a minor’s study permit will still need to obtain a visitor’s status during their stay in Canada.

What Documents Do I need for This Application

First and foremost, an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution is required. The validity of the study permit will be based on the length of the courses.

Secondly, you will need to prove that you have the financial ability to support your children’s study in Canada. If you are not in Canada with your children, you must appoint a custodian who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. For a minor who is over the age of 17, a custodian is optional.

Next, you will be expected to demonstrate why you want your child to pursue a Canadian education, and how this will benefit their future. They will also be expected to provide some sort of explanation of why they want to study in Canada. This is better illustrated with a study plan or a thorough educational plan. You should also be able to prove to an immigration officer you will conform to all the requirements of individuals who visit Canada, and abide by the conditions of your study permit.

Last but not least, you must convince an immigration officer you will leave Canada when your study permit expires. To do this, you must demonstrate strong ties to your home country. This could be for family reasons, employment reason, and many more.

How long is the minor’s study permit Valid for

Study permits intended for minor children acquire a length of validity for varying time periods, depending on your circumstances. It is your responsibility to keep track of your minor’s study permit’s expiry date. You will need to apply for the new permit at least three months before the current one expires. If you haven’t applied to renew your study permit before it expires, you’ll lose your student status and have 90 days to apply to restore it. If you have applied to renew your study permit before it expires, you are allowed to continue studying until a decision is made. This is called the implied status.

If a minor does not require a study permit to study in Canada, then he or she must have a valid status, by obtaining a valid visitor’s visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) during his or her stay in Canada.

Contact Akrami and Associates

If you would like to come to Canada as a minor to study, but are unsure if you need a study permit, it is important to take all of the aforementioned information into consideration before applying. Preparing for a minor’s study permit application can be confusing and overwhelming, and therefore, it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Akrami & Associates work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients enter Canada to pursue studies by successfully obtaining a study permit. Please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at 416-477-2545 for more information, or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Understanding Canadian Citizenship Application
Information about the Federal Skilled Trades Progr...