Different types of Work Permit in Canada - Immigration Blog about US & Canadian Immigration matters.

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
7 minutes reading time (1407 words)

Different types of Work Permit in Canada


The Temporary Foreign Worker Program

The temporary foreign worker program is an umbrella program which includes all work permits an individual could apply for. There are many types of work permits within the temporary foreign worker program. In this article, you will learn about different types of work permitdifferent types of work permit that the temporary foreign worker program includes.

Live in Caregiver Work Permit

If you have a job offer to work as a live-in caregiver, and the job offer and the employer meet all the requirements of hiring a live-in caregiver, then you may be eligible to apply for a live-in caregiver work permit. To apply for a live-in caregiver work permit, you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer which is supported by a positive LMIA. To apply for a live-in caregiver work permit successfully, you must submit the following with your application:

· Proof of job offer for a full-time, caregiver position, with a valid signed employment contract

· Proof you have completed at least six months of training as a caregiver or at least one year of full-time paid experience as caregiver or related in the past three years

· Proof you have completed high school (secondary education) or its equivalent in your country of origin

· Proof the patient is either a children or a person with high medical needs

· Proof you have knowledge of one of Canada’s two official languages, either English or French

· It is recommended to take standardized test to convince the officer that is assessing your application to believe you are proficient in one of Canada’s two languages, you may also receive a request for an interview.

· be admissible to immigrate to Canada (not criminally, medically inadmissible and if you are inadmissible, you must taking any necessary steps to remove that criminal inadmissibility)

Intra-Company Transferee (ICT) Work Permit

If you work for a company which has an affiliated company located in Canada, and your position and skills and qualifications meet the standards needed to prove to an immigration officer that transferring you to the Canadian branch of your company, is necessary for the company, and will have great benefits for both the company and the Canadian economy, then, you may be eligible to apply for an ICT work permit, without first having to obtain an LMIALMIA. To do this successfully, you must provide with your application:

· Proof of continuous, full-time employment with the affiliate enterprise outside of Canada for at least one year within the previous three years period preceding the date of application

· Proof of executive or managerial position held by the applicant in the company

· Proof of Specialized knowledge if the worker is applying under that category

· An outline of the position that the individual would hold in Canada including the title, place in organization and job description.

NAFTA Work Permit

The NAFTA free trade agreement allows individuals who are citizens or permanent residents of Mexico, or the USA to come to Canada to fill a temporary position, without first having to obtain a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). You can come as a business visitor under NAFTA, a professional, as an Intra-company transferee (ICT), or, an investor. To apply for a NAFTA work permit, you must submit the following:

· Proof of U.S. or Mexican citizenship (for example, a valid passport or birth certificate)

· Documents that confirm a job offer from a Canadian employer (for example, a signed contract, a letter from the employer)

· Documents to prove the Canadian employer is an eligible employer, the profession is on the list of designated professions, provide details of the position, and show that you have the required educational requirements or alternative credentials for the position

· Show that you have the specialized knowledge required for the position, and this is why you’re the individual who must fill the job.

· Must specify intended duration of stay in Canada, and convince an immigration officer you will leave at the end of your authorized stay.

Open Work Permit

The applicant of an Open Work Permit can work for any Canadian employer, without having an offer of employment. This permit is not job-specific meaning you can work for any employer in Canada and the employer does not need to have the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Employers who hire employees with an open work permit do not need to pay the employer compliance fee, of $1000CAD. To apply for an open work permit, you must submit the following documentation:

You must submit the documents necessary to prove you are eligible to apply for an open work permit, by falling under one of the following categories:

· your spouse has study permit in Canada

· your spouse has work permit in Canada (skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B)

· your spouse has a permanent residence

· you are the accompanying family member of an individual whose application has been approved under one of the following: Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada, Protected Person, or Live-in Caregiver Program

· You have applied for permanent residence and your application has been accepted under any of the following programs: Live in care giver program, Federal skilled worker program, Canadian experience class, Provincial nominee program, Federal skilled trades program, or Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

Off-Campus Work Permit

If you need an off-campus work permit to pursue the number of hours you wish to work, you should submit an application with the following documentation:

· Proof that you are a full-time student and are complying with the conditions of your study permit,

· Proof that you have studied full-time for at least six months out of the previous 12 months in an eligible institution and in a qualifying program that leads to a degree;

· have satisfactory academic standing in their qualifying program of study at the time of their application for a work permit;,

· have maintained satisfactory academic standing during the six months of full time study out of the previous 12 months and since their application for a work permit;

Post-Graduate Work Permit

The post-graduate work permit is considered an open-work permit, meaning you can work for any employer, anywhere in Canada. This is a special type of open work permit available to individuals who have recently graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, to allow you to find work in Canada. To be eligible for a post graduate work permit, you must ensure you submit the following with your application:

· Proof that you have completed and passed your program of study and received notification that you are eligible to get your degree, diploma or certificate

· You must apply within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have completed your degree

· You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

Please note a Post Graduate Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the official length of your program of study in Canada.

Student Co-op Work Permit

If the program you are enrolled in requires you to complete a co-op term, you are allowed to do so. However, you must apply for a co-op student work permit first. Essentially, this is a work permit which lists the school as your official employer, and then allows the school to place you wherever is appropriate. To apply for this type of work permit, it is important you demonstrate that you are enrolled in a program which requires you to complete a co-op term, and that you are continuing to fulfill all the requirements of your study permit.

Contact Akrami and Associates

There is an overwhelming amount of information to consider when applying for your work permit. It can also be very confusing to prepare for your documents and applications. Akrami and Associates have helped with many types of work permit cases, and we offer professional guidance to ease your stress. Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a work permit, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. Akrami & Associates Akrami & Associates would be more than happy to assist you with obtaining your work permit. Feel free to contact us at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you want to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!


Immigrate to Canada with the Provincial Nominee Pr...
Renewing Your Permanent Resident Card

Related Posts

Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to http://toimmigrate.com/