Difference between Temporary Resident Visa and Temporary Resident Permit - Immigration Law Firm

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA

Bahar's Blog about Immigration to Canada & USA
7 minutes reading time (1478 words)

Difference between Temporary Resident Visa and Temporary Resident Permit

Difference between Temporary Resident Visa and Temporary Resident Permit

Temporary Resident Visa vs. Temporary Resident Permit

Canada has over 35 million temporary residents enter Canada each year; and unless you are from a visa-exempt country such as the United States, you will need to apply for and be granted a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) whether it be for tourism, study, or work.

Although Temporary Resident Visa and Temporary Resident Permit sound like they are the same thing, they are in fact very different! Applying for the wrong document could delay your entry to Canada, therefore its important to know which one is right for you.

What is a Temporary Resident Visa?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is technically described as an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is proof you have met the requirements for admission into Canada as a temporary resident (i.e. as a visitor, student, or worker). This document is placed in your passport, to be shown at the port of entry upon your arrival to Canada.

It is important to note that having a TRV does not guarantee your entry into Canada; you may still have to prove that your visit is temporary in nature, and explain the reason for your visit. Ultimately it is up to the port of entry Officer to determine if you will be admitted into Canada or not.

Duration of a Temporary Resident Visa

Work permits and study permits are technically considered Temporary Resident Visa’s, but usually it is the ‘visitor visa’ for tourism purposes that is referred to as a TRV. While work permits and study permits have set time periods depending on the length of the program being studied or the duration of the approved job offer, visitor visas (TRVs) are typically issued for a 6-month duration. The applicant could be awarded either a single entry visa, or a multiple entry visa.

Single Entry Visa:

Single Entry Visa allows you to enter Canada on one occasion, and remain in Canada for up to 6 months (or for the duration of the visa if different). Even if you do not stay for the full duration of your visit (i.e. you only stayed in Canada for 1 month instead of 6) you cannot return to Canada after leaving. You will have to reapply for and be granted a new TRV/visitor visa before returning.

Multiple Entry Visa:

Multiple Entry Visa allows you to enter Canada on multiple occasions, for up to 6 months at a time for the duration of your TRV. These are typically awarded for 10 years, or until 1 month prior to the expiry date of your passport. This means you will not have to reapply for a new TRV before returning to Canada while your visa is valid.

Although every TRV/visitor visa is now automatically considered for multiple entry, it is up to the Officer processing your Temporary Resident Visa application to grant you multiple entry, or a single entry.

If you are in Canada and would like to extend your stay as a visitor beyond the allotted 6 months, you can do so by applying for an extension from within Canada. If you apply before the expiry date of your visit, you are allowed to remain in Canada until Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) issue a decision on your extension. If it is approved, you are allowed to remain in Canada until the new expiry date issued by IRCC; if it is rejected, you must leave Canada immediately.

If you are interested in coming to Canada as a visitor, international student, or as a worker, contact Akrami & Associates for a consultation so we can determine the best option for you to come to Canada!

What is a Temporary Resident Permit?

If you are considered ‘inadmissible’ to Canada under Temporary Resident Visa categories such as visitor, student, or worker because you have a criminal background or a medical condition, but you have a valid reason for entering Canada, you have to apply for and be granted a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) before you can enter Canada. A Temporary Resident Permit is a document that allows an otherwise ‘inadmissible’ person to enter Canada for a predetermined amount of time.

Criminal inadmissibility

Canada has very strict regulations regarding entry to Canada when it comes to having a criminal record, so if you have ever committed or been convicted of either a minor or serious crime, you will have to obtain either a Temporary Resident Permit, or overcome criminal inadmissibility through Criminal Rehabilitation.

If it has not been at least 5 years since the completion of your sentence, or if you have to make an unexpected trip to Canada and do not have time to wait for a Criminal Rehabilitation application to be processed (see our other articles regarding the criminal rehabilitation process), a Temporary Resident Permit may be the right solution for you.

The Immigration Officer processing your TRP application will determine if your reason for visiting Canada outweighs the ‘risk’ of you possibly reoffending. Therefore it is key to highlight the stability of your life since the completion of your sentence, your remorse for previous offences, as well as the fact that you are a low risk reoffender.

A Temporary Resident Permit is a temporary document, and it should be noted that it is not a permanent pardon. This means you will be considered ‘admissible’ to Canada for the duration of your TRP, but will have to either reapply for a new TRP once your current one expires, or apply for Criminal Rehabilitation if you are eligible, otherwise you will once again be considered ‘inadmissible’ to Canada.

Medical inadmissibility

There are a few reasons why you could be considered medically ‘inadmissible’ to Canada:

  • There is a danger of contagion
  • Unusual and/or unpredictable behaviour that may cause a danger to the safety of the public
  • The demand of health services and social services that you may require in Canada could deprive Canadian nationals of these services

When submitting a TRP application to overcome medical inadmissibility, it is important to demonstrate that your medical condition does not pose a risk to the Canadian public. This can be done through strong submissions, and medical proof such as medical reports and letters from you physician. Canada is very strict regarding the protection of the Canadian public’s health and safety; therefore it requires a well-prepared and strong case to overcome medical inadmissibility.

Duration of my TRP

A Temporary Resident Permit can be issued for anywhere between 1 day, to 3 years. The duration is solely at the discretion of the Officer processing your application, based on the facts of your case. The main determining factor is the ‘need vs. risk’ component of your application; how valid is your reason for entering Canada vs. what is the risk of allowing you to enter and remain in Canada. If the Officer believes you have a valid reason to come to Canada (i.e. birth or death in the family, emergency, crucial business meeting, etc.) and the risk of you committing a crime or your medical condition affecting the public is low, they are more likely to approve your application.

How do I apply for a TRP?

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) can either be applied for in advance through a Canadian Consulate, or ‘same day’ at the Canadian border or port of entry. Applying directly at the border may be your only option if the trip is an emergency (such as a death in the family) or on short notice (such as a business meeting), but keep in mind you are not guaranteed to have a TRP approved, and may be refused entry to Canada. If you choose to apply through a Canadian Consulate, the typical processing time is between 1-6 months, but at least you know in advance that you have an approved TRP before travelling to Canada.

How can I ensure my TRP application is strong?

Having a professionally completed application with strong documentation is the best way to ensure you not only have the best chances of an approval, but also to increase the chances of you received a TRP for a longer duration.

If you have already been refused entry to Canada or told you are ‘inadmissible’ due to medical or criminal reasons, contact us today for a consultation regarding the best strategy regarding your entry to Canada. Akrami & Associates specializes in inadmissibility cases, and has a successful track record with the hundreds of Temporary Resident Permits applications we have submitted on behalf of our clients. Having been approved for one Temporary Resident Permit does not automatically mean you will be approved for a second one, so ensure you have the assistance of an Immigration firm who specializes in TRP applications to increase your chances of approval of your first, or subsequent Temporary Resident Permit applications. With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

What is LMIA and who Cannot Apply for LMIA
Express Entry Draw and Express Entry Invitation Pr...
Comment for this post has been locked by admin.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to http://toimmigrate.com/